Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Author Interview with romance author: Sue-Ellen Welfonder



Good Morning everyone, let’s all welcome romance author Sue-Ellen Welfonder and her Highland Warriors series with us today.
                                                                     
First off please tell everyone a little about your series?
SEW:  Highland Warriors is a Scottish medieval trilogy. I wanted to explore the deep love Highlanders have for their home glen. The glen in the series is shared by three clans and each one believes they have sole claim to the land. The three heroines are sisters of the warring chieftains and they are weary of the strife and bloodshed so they join together to end the feud by each vowing to wed a man from an enemy clan. 
Here is a mini-blurb for Sins of a Highland Devil:
When a king commands three feuding clans to resolve their dispute with a trial by combat, a proud Highland warrior soon learns that he’s fighting for much more than his beloved glen and that his greatest triumph will be winning the love of his enemy’s sister.

Introduce everyone to book one Sins of a Highland Devil hero and heroine.
SEW:  James ‘The Devil’ Cameron is a proud clan chieftain who, though fierce, is known for his honor as much as the strength of his sword arm. When the Scottish king orders him to fight or see his people banished, he has no choice but to enter a staged battle that will determine which clan is to possess the glen. Highlander to the bone, he believes the glen clans should resolve their feuds without royal interference. He never expects to find an ally in Catriona MacDonald, the fiery, high-spirited sister of his worst foe, but he does – and when they come together, their lives are forever changed.



What year are the story settings?
SEW:  Sins of a Highland Devil, book one, opens in 1396 with the other two books set progressively a year onward. This was the turbulent reign of King Robert II (Robert Stewart, grandson of Scotland’s great hero king, Robert the Bruce)  

Can you tell our readers a bit about the paranormal elements that are added in the story?
SEW: All my books have paranormal elements. Celtic legend and lore, Highland magic, belief in curses, second sight, mythical creatures and such, were all an integral part of life in medieval Scotland and so I enjoy weaving in these elements. Readers can expect the following paranormal threads in Sins of a Highland Devil: myth and legend, curses, magic, standing stones, ghosts, enchanted beasties, ancients who practice the old ways, and more.
One of my favorite magical elements is an enchanted white stag. He was created in honor of Big Boy, a friendly red stag who enjoyed greeting visitors at a viewpoint in Glencoe. Tame and trusting, Big Boy delighted travelers from all over the world. I’d seen him a few times on my own visits to Scotland and was heartbroken to learn he’d met a bad end. So I put him in this series and named him Rannoch after the Rannoch Moor which is where ‘his’ overlook is located.

For the readers out there who have never tried your books can you please add a few of your favorite teasers from the book?
SEW:  Sure, here are two with James and Catriona, and one with Grizel, the magical wise woman in the series…


Excerpt I ~ Sins of a Highland Devil

A Fiery Wench…

     The MacDonald wench stood at. He stepped closer to the wall, hoping he erred. Unfortunately, he hadn’t the edge of the chaos. On seeing her, James felt an even hotter flare of irritation. She was truly there, hands on her hips and looking haughty as always.
     Joining him, his cousin gave a low whistle. “She’s Catriona MacDonald, the chief’s sister. The wildest of that heathenish lot.”
     “I know who she is.” James did. “And she is wild - so prickly some say she sleeps in a bed of nettles.”
     Colin laughed. “She’s bonnie all the same.”
     James scowled at the lass. “So is the deep blue sea until you sink in its depths and drown.”
~*~
Excerpt II ~ Sins of a Highland Devil
         
 A Laird and a Lady Clash…

     “Lady Catriona.” His smile deepened, turning devilish.
     “You…” She took several steps closer to him, then stopped when she realized she’d moved. “You shouldn’t be here with me-” She started to tell him to leave, but broke off when he raised a hand.
     “I am no’ with you, regrettably.” His meaning brought a flush to her face. “If I were” – he gave her a look that made her feel naked – “rest assured you’d no’ be spluttering like an angry hen. You’d be purring in sweet, female contentment.”  
~*~

Excerpt III – Grizel & Gorm (her partner)

A Crone Interrupted…

    

     “What are you about, woman?”
      Grizel spun around, sending the peat-bricks flying through the air. Gorm stood just inside the threshold, his face stern. His usually merry eyes were suspicious. And his splendid, near-to-his knees beard riffled in an unseen wind, a sure sign that he was in a dangerous mood.
     Grizel glared at him, peering past his shoulder at the now-empty door stoop. Even the fine bed of heather and bracken that she’d made for her four-legged friend had vanished. Everything was gone except the rocks and whirling mist.
     “Glower all you wish, it’ll change naught.” Gorm’s beard ends fluttered wildly. 
     “Where be Rannoch?” Grizel thrust out her chin, ignoring the beard-riffling.
     “No’ doing the fool guarding you ordered him to do, that’s true.” Gorm shut the door and came forward, bending to snatch up one of the peats as he crossed the stone-flagged floor. “Thon creature heeds me more than he does you, if ne’er you noticed.”
~*~

What can readers expect next any upcoming releases?
SEW:  Books two and three in Highland Warriors will be out this autumn. Likewise, a holiday novella connected to the series…
Temptation of a Highland Scoundrel, #2
Seduction of a Highland Warrior, #3
Once Upon a Highland Christmas, series-related holiday novella

I also have a story in Meows and Mistletoe, a Cat’s Paw Cove holiday collection. It’s set in a Florida beach town full of cats, magic, and romance. The Cat’s Paw Cove series was created by Wynter Daniels and Catherine Kean.
    
Are you working on any more series or books? 
SEW: A spin-off on my Ravenscraig Legacy series, Scottish contemporary paranormals. I’m hoping to get it out this summer. After that  – so many ideas and too little time.  
~*~
Thank you so much for having me. If any readers would like a closer look at Highland Warriors, they can download Highland Interludes from my website. It’s a free mobi download and includes two series prequels…

Highland Interludes

The Foretelling is a series prequel that lets you meet the three heroes as lads. It sets the stage for the events that unfold when they are grown men, proud and powerful Highland warrior chieftains.
         
The Glen of Many Legends – A Tour is also a prequel but is set immediately before the series opens. With a fierce battle on the horizon, a danger that could destroy a sacred glen, one of the warrior chieftains makes a journey across the story world.     
~*~
Also, I’ll draw a reader from all comments for a Mobi file of Sins of a Highland Devil.


I’ll sign off by with my contact info…

Mailing list:

Website:


Facebook Personal Page: http://on.fb.me/1N5fSqg





28 comments:

  1. Good morning, Laurie! Thank you so much for having me here today. It was so nice to chat about Sins of a Highland Devil and the trilogy (Highland Warriors). The interview looks beautiful. I'll drop by throughout the day and will announce a winner in here tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more then welcome. I am so glad to have you here today!

      Delete
    2. I'm still smiling at the lovely way you set up the interview. It's so pretty. Thank you. I ran a blog many moons ago, too, so remember how fiddly it can be to set up a nice post. Breaking for lunch now and will look in again later today to say hello to all visitors.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about Highlanders. This book sounds really good.
    Emjoyed reading the comments.
    jwisley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for looking in, Joye! This is a great story - a personal fave. It launches one of my favorite trilogies, too. Good luck in the drawing. xx

      Delete
  3. I have to say right off, I love Sue Ellen's books. They are all retreads a few times :). Besides those gorgeous Highlanders, there are the feisty women and all the rich history of Scotland. I've been reading her books for years and will continue. Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity.
    Carol Luciano
    Lucky4750 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waving at you, Carol! Thank you so much for your good words. They brightened my day. I know you're a longtime reader and appreciate you so much. Good luck in the drawing. xx

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the interview. Your books sound intriguing. Love
    that you have added lore, legends and mystical creatures.
    Looking forward to reading your books.
    Carol Smith
    penelope223(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carol. It's lovely to hear from someone who also enjoys lore, legends, mythical creatures and what-not. All my books have magical elements, not just the Scottish medievals. But with that genre, especially, I am always surprised when such elements are ignored. Every stone or sprig of heather over there has a legend attached to it and in medieval times, such things were a huge part of everyday life. Such beliefs touched every aspect of life. Anyway, thanks for commenting. I hope you will enjoy my books. Good luck in the drawing. xx

      Delete
  5. I'm just so blasted excited about the relaunch of this series! Still riding on a high from the news! Hugs and love ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, my Anam Cara. I know how much you love these books. I can see and feel certain souls striding back and forth in my office, eager to return to the page. Thanks so much for looking in here. Love you. xx

      Delete
  6. I've read a few of her books and I absolutely love them. I still need to read this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Mary! I appreciate them so much and am so glad you enjoy the books. This is a wonderful series. I hope you will enjoy it. xx

      Delete
  7. I definitely need this trilogy! I love Sue-Ellen's writing so much. She's a writing heroine to me.

    Congratulations on the new ad upcoming releases!

    Hugs,
    Tambra Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tambra, you are always so sweet! You just brightened my whole world - thank you! This is a great trilogy and I think you'll love it. The next one (book 2) is my personal fave of the three. I adore its 'wild man' hero who has Viking Berserker blood. There is also a connected Xmas/Yuletide novella so it's really four books and they'll all be out this autumn. Yay! Thanks so much for looking in. xx

      Delete
  8. I LOVED the books the first time, and can't wait to reread them now. Sue-Ellen is one of my MOST favorite authors and have read everything she has written (old & new). She has the ability of "taking you away" to the Highlands & moors, and you ARE a part of the magic of the books. You get to know the characters inside and out, and I like the part that you look forward to "seeing them again". Love you Sue-Ellen. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Wendy, your good words mean so much. I love that you loved these books first time out. I've been trying to get them back for a very long time and am so happy to be able to finally make the series available again. I, too, really love this series. And I am so glad that you feel 'swept away into the story worlds' when you read my books. That has always been and remains my greatest goal: to transport readers into the story. I want/hope to take readers away for the time they spend in my books' pages, letting them be right there in the story with the story people, living everything as it happens. Also agree that it is fun to revisit beloved old characters. (I am doing that just now as I wrap up the new spin-off on my Allie Mackay Ravenscraig Legacy series .. am loving the time spent with these well-loved characters and settings) Love you, too! SE (HUGS)

      Delete
  9. Everyone .. I just sat back down at my desk and my cat Snuggles is 'biting' my ankles and knees like mad. It's been a busy day and he does this when he has decided I have been at my desk too long. (he doesn't draw blood, just makes 'attention-nips' as I think of them .. anything to ruin my focus on whatever I am doing at my computer!) So I am signing off to play some red dot with him and will respond to all hellos as soon as he settles again. (cat lovers will understand)xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie, thank you so much for having me here today. It's been fun and I enjoyed every minute. Everyone who looked in or might yet .. thank you so much! It was so good of you to join me in here. (((HUGS))) to you all. Re the Giveaway, I'll post a winner tomorrow morning. (could be close to noon EDT, depending on how often Snuggles wakes me through the night) Anyway, thank you all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again thank you so much for being here and for the interview, we will have to do this again as soon.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WINNERS!! Ladies, I haven't done a blog interview in a while and doing this one yesterday reminded me of the one thing I have never mastered in all my years as an author: It is sooo hard for me to draw 'just one winner' at these blog visits.

    And so, with the exception of those readers who I know already have the book, I am making all six commenting-readers winners!

    Ladies, you are...

    Joye (J.Wisley) .. Carol Luciano .. Carol Smith .. Mary Kirkland .. Tambra Nicole .. Wendy (memom)

    Ladies, please email me at welfonder@msn.com so I can send the book to you.

    Heartfelt thanks to each of you for looking in yesterday and I hope you will enjoy Sins of a Highland Devil and the next two books in the series when they release in autumn.

    Thanks as well to everyone else who dropped by. Love and hugs to you all. Till next time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! This is GREAT!!, Thanks so much. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, Laurie does a fantastic job with the interviews giving readers a wonderful opportunity to learn and become interested.

    ReplyDelete

This is an award free blog. Thank you for all of your comments.